Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Do YOU Know About the Royal Wedding?

I'd say it's pretty hard not to be aware of the fact that Kate Middleton and Prince William are about to tie the knot! There has been constant coverage, literally everywhere--BBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOXMSNBC, CNN, AOL, and more.

Each of these stations' headlines are all buzzing about the royal wedding. "3 Reasons Why You Should Care About the Royal Wedding," "Will Royal Wedding Be the Ultimate Reality Show?" (you get the picture). There are so many constant updates regarding these festivities, and the wedding hasn't even happened yet! Even though the wedding is less than a month away, I think the media is focusing too much of its' attention on this wedding. In my opinion, there are many more important events and matters that should be covered, instead of every last detail of Catherine Middleton and Prince William's Wedding. To me, I truly believe that this wedding is getting too much attention in America. Yes, I understand it is a royal wedding and those don't occur often, but I think we should just be focusing on the actual wedding itself when it happens (and not everything leading up to it--keep that private and focus on issues that are more important going on in our world).

2 comments:

  1. You know, some people may not expect this from me, but I really love the concept behind the royal family. When all of the world is falling to hell in a handbasket (did I really just use that expression) it is refreshing to know that we can focus our mutual attention on something safe and regal like the royal family. To me, the royal family is like the mascot of a sports team: you can hate how Rich Rodriguez managed the Wolverines during his tenure, but did you ever hate the Wolverine itself? of course not, how could you? Mascots, like the royal family, have no power.

    So instead what we get with the royal family is a lovely and upstanding group of people that offer us a glimpse of what it means to be posh and polite. Whats so bad about that? Will I be watching the wedding myself? no. Am I happy that millions will stop watching the news briefly so that they can watch the wedding? absolutely. The world needs distractions and a distraction like a royal wedding is far more savory than anything you find on MTV. CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think that the buzzing headlines are completely necessary to ensure that people actually watch the Royal Wedding and that they are up to date about what is happening with them. We live in a world where advertising and headlines determine what people watch. Plus, as Jordan said, people admire and like the Royal Family. In fact, they're sort of like celebrities. People are interested in what dress Kate Middleton is wearing, who is invited to the wedding, where the wedding is going to take place, and so much more because people look up to the Royal Family. Why are there so many headlines and magazine covers focusing on the Obamas? Why do we care what Michelle Obama wears to graduation commencement? These questions are similar to the Royal Family's upcoming wedding.

    In addition, although the media is really promoting the wedding, I don't necessarily think that they are doing a poor job broadcasting about other important news stories. When the earthquake and tsunami occurred in Japan, the Royal Wedding didn't overtake the news stations. So, who cares if news stations are promoting it? People enjoy hearing about it evidently or else news stations wouldn't continue wasting their time.

    On a negative note, the Royal Wedding is going to cut into Michigan's graduation. To graduate or to watch the Royal Wedding... that is the question.

    ReplyDelete