Welcome to DeZeen. A perfect resource for graphic designers, architects, furniture designers, critics, and, well, anyone who is the least bit interested in innovative design. The fact that DeZeen is a design site indicates the level of graphic clarity, organization, and credibility of the website itself. DeZeen hits all three components of my ideal website: visual appeal, a variety of interesting topics, and the ability to be understood and accessed by the general public. Apart from these characteristics, DeZeen is easy to navigate, its headings bolded and located at the top of each post, while the quick blurbs of hyperlinked information provide just enough data to reel you in and click 'more.' Ross-Larson would approve. I love everything about this website- I visit it frequently to keep up with global architecture, competitions, installations, and job postings. Yet, the amount of creativity and innovation that is exhibited by DeZeen makes it accessible to everyone. The ideas and products that people create are truly astonishing. Check out this article on scarves that transform into inflatable bicycle helmets upon sensing abnormal movement:

User feedback is encouraged: the bottom of each page contains a box for user comments, and the ability to directly link to wordpress, facebook, twitter, and openid.

Just above these boxes are "see also" headings that exhibit two or more design features of a similar category to the current topic. For instance, the futuristic bicycle helmet page links to smoking hoods designed for smokers unable to smoke in public buildings and urban camouflage vending machines, backpacks, and purses. The creativity of the projects speak for themselves. A site so full of interesting material, its only vice is the inability to view all the products at once. However, even the navigation of DeZeen is made simple by the keyword tags, blog archives, and search boxes. The concept of the graphic design of this site, and the concepts that make up this concept ultimately create a site arguably more interactive than most.
Still not convinced? Take a look at the image below. How could you not be interested?

Dear Sheena,
ReplyDeleteAs you know, I really am interested in architecture but I rarely know what I like about it or how I can truly indulge. So what I like about Dezeen is that it offers something for the hardcore archephiles and the amateur enthusiasts like myself. They do this by offering an article written by an expert right underneath the photograph that provides analysis, but the long stream of comments indicates that you do not need to be a professional architect to partake in its beauty.
It's also great that it does not limit itself to buildings. Design in general is a wide-reaching topic but the website manages to hit on a lot of areas. I think they do this by including the "submit a story" tab. In doing so, the website is encouraging interactivity and increasing their volume of content at the same time.
My only qualm is that the home page is a bit too cluttered. A few too many links and a lot to look at. If there were a bit more white space then I would be more inclined to stop and read, as it is, I feel as though I am never reading enough.
Good job!
p.s.- they totally stole our idea! http://www.dezeen.com/tag/theatres/