Pages

Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 23, 2011

compromises

It seems to me that fame is not the only thing that has taken a hit because of the advent and dissemination of new media. In the process of pursuing this lesser type of fame, values and morals are compromised to an extreme account. I'll save you the inappropriateness of posting a video, but simply consider how many young women out there are selling themselves online because it is easier than ever. Think about all of the grown men who will cover themselves in make up and wale online about the tribulations of Britney Spears, I'm looking at you Chris Crocker. Where is the dignity? Where is the inhibition? Where is the hard work? These things evaporate as fame becomes more and more attainable.

What new media offers is a connection to individuals that would otherwise be impossible given the volume. A pastor loves the idea of being able to answer the questions of his parishioners, but is unable to do so without alienating the rest of his congregation. Now a pastor can take video submissions or emails imploring the father to help with personal issues. There is now a heightened and superior level of connectivity never before seen. But take a look at the videos posted on youtube. Is it the state of the union address that is getting the most hits? No, it is a video with the title "Kim Kardashian hates little fat girls." What we have developing is a vicious cycle of people posting morally vacuous trash and it is encouraged by the massive audiences that these videos and blogs receive. So what we are headed towards is a morally-bankrupt medium being facilitated and coerced by an equally bankrupt audience.

Maybe I am exaggerating. But consider this: who uses the internet more than anyone else? The youth. What do the youthful read: trashy blogs and the like.

on another unrelated note, My brother made this video with some friends and it has reached 100k hits in a week.


1 comment:

  1. Jordan-

    I definitely see what you're saying and I have to agree with you. I think that during this day and age, people are trying to attain instant success on the internet and are doing so by promoting themselves in a way that is occasionally foolish, humiliating, or occasionally at times, self-degrading; with no signs of dignity or self-respect.

    People seem to have this constant yearn for videos like the one you mentioned, "Kim Kardashian hates little fat girls," and I cannot really tell you why this is. Really, it is just the fact that people like hearing about these irrelevant issues which don't effect their lives in any significant way. But what is even sadder is that fact that people like Chris Crocker who mocks Britney Spears or Liam Kyle Sullivan who plays "Kelly" in the youtube video "Shoes," are willing to degrade themselves just to get the attention of millions of viewers...Shouldn't it be opposite? (Why anyone would want to publicly humiliate him or herself just so he or she could attract millions of viewers?) That is what I would like to know.

    ReplyDelete