Public Reason is a paradigm for the former. On this website there is nothing but words. Sure there is plenty of linkage on the left panel. There is even an encouragement for reader response. But take a look at some of the comments and you will see that they are merely extensions of the same dry material. This website could call itself new media because there is a conversation of sorts between the writer and the readers. Though you must consider the average reader. This is the reader that would never come close to meeting the pre-requisites for the allowance to comment. I am this average reader, and I am absolutely turned cold by this sort of blog. It comes from a place of pomposity where it is less an open forum and more an exposition of intellectuals showing off what they are capable of. Who knows, maybe the editor of public reason formatted the website in this way to encourage a level of scholarly discourse. Maybe he thought that by having no images, no multimedia, no colloquial conversation that the blog would reach the upper echelons of intelligence.
OPR Ch. 1.3: Evaluative Diversity and the Problem of Indeterminacy
That is currently the headlining blog post on the Public Reason website...where is the appeal!? Why would I want to read that. Maybe I am not scholarly because I want a catchy title and maybe even a picture to accompany my blog posting. But please! A blog should not be work for the reader! It should be the writers responsibility to engage me!
Front Porch Republic is a perfect example of how you don’t need to keep the website cold and lifeless. FPR allows for interactivity. Rather than scroll and scroll through a massive list of boring titles (I’m looking at you public reason), the front page of FPR offers appealing headlines with an interface that makes the reader feel involved. It is a subtle and simple difference. Drag your mouse over a headline on FPR and the title will illuminate just enough to attract you to reading it. There are pictures, there are different sections, there is interactivity. Do any of these things make the FPR any less scholarly? Hardly! Click on any of these headlines and you will see a very well thought out essay of close to one thousand words. There are extensive quotations from scholarly sources and readings. Furthermore, there is a long list of qualified editors that allows for a sense of transparency and authority.
Maybe its just the design on Public Reason that frustrates me. I am not given any choice of what to read. There is simply an incredibly long scroll bar and I am expected to scan through all the titles until I find one I like. Clicking is not important to the survival of the website. I can not click on anything and still read it all. FPR gives me choice. So rather than have me be a silent listener, I get to choose my own blogging adventure, so to speak.
Jordan,
ReplyDeleteAfter assessing Front Porch Republic and Public Reason, I've also found that I am a bit more partial to the former. Why exactly does the word "interactivity" receive a synonymity with "non-academic?" Like Jordan, I feel that the ability to access more sources of information, more videos, more articles, and more images is an indication of the academic standing of a blog. Credibility jumps a few points when a political article links to a video of the material it discusses, which in turn links to a primary source. Perhaps this is why Front Porch Republic is much more interesting than the quintessential "dry blog."
Just look at the titles and captions:
"Breakfast with the Bar Jester (Part 2)
Ladies, get your eggs ready! Read the entire entry »"
The titles are witty, captions entertaining, and most importantly, the blog caters to a wide audience. I feel that Front Porch Republic is just as credible as Public Reason, but by the mere fact that the writers know how to advertise and market themselves, these blogs stir more interest and viewer participation.
The evaluation of academic and non-academic blogs over the past couple weeks has led to an interesting conclusion. In retrospect, I have discovered that the hyper-interactivity of a blog is not the only means by which an academic blog can be assessed on it's credibility (any blog can have links and images and videos, but still contain trivial information), but rather, a tool that, when utilized correctly, boosts the integrity of the platform.