Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Facebook Advertises Privacy Settings

Photo Credit
When I was on Facebook tonight viewing my own profile a box popped up that read:
Things have moved around on your new profile, so please take a second to understand who can see your stuff. Currently some of your photos and videos are visible to Friends, and Only You can see photos you're tagged in. Remember, you can always change your settings. 
There was either an option to "Confirm" or I could click on "your settings" and be taken to the "Customize Privacy Settings" page. I thought this was interesting given our recent discussions in class about privacy settings on Facebook and how many find it hard to manage these settings because there often difficult to find the privacy page in the first place. I wonder if this pop-up box is a reaction to complaints from Facebook users who are unaware of their privacy on the site and what they're inadvertently sharing with others on the web. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the same box, except it says:

    Confirm your settings
    Things have moved around on your new profile, so please take a second to understand who can see your stuff. Currently some of your notes are visible to Friends. Remember, you can always change your settings.

    When I click on "your settings", it takes me to my Notes page... and the pop-up box won't eff off unless I click "confirm"; which I'm not going to do until I find out what I'm confirming exactly...

    ReplyDelete