
Lest we forget
Myspace used to be the end all and be all social networking site. It was the alpha and the omega when it came to staying connected. It was the chicken and....you get the point: it was important. Walk up to me 6 years ago and tell me myspace will become irrelevant within the decade and I'd surely scoff. But something is only immune untill the next best thing approaches. We all have our gripes with Facebook, how long is it before these gripes turn into alternatives?
We all have witnessed the slow decline of MySpace among our generation over the past decade or so. In middle school, we all had them. Then in high school, we switched to Facebook because only the younger, less cool kids had MySpaces. Eventually these kids would get older and get Facebooks, somewhat of a natural social networking progession. But in recent years, before MySpace switched to a strictly social entertainment site, all the younger kids who we would have expected to follow the same progression as us, immediately jump on the Facebook bandwagon. Sorry MySpace, but even pre-teens don't want anything to do with your site. And even when it switched to the entertainment division, the site still lost a staggering 10 million users in the past month, according to the Huffington Post article. 10 million users deactivating their accounts in just 30 days. At a declining rate like that, it makes you wonder who is even going on MySpace anymore? Certainly not myself or anyone else that I know. When a Facebook page offers musicians all the same capabilities as a MySpace page, users won't even bother using the latter because it's the exact same information. I think that as Facebook continues to adapt by adding and changing features, MySpace will only continue to lose more users. In terms of the title of the article, "Makeover or Shutdown: What's the best bet for Myspace?" I definitely think it's to shutdown. The company is only losing more and more money as more and more users leave the site and less and less people are signing up and checking it out. Sorry MySpace, but you've got to go.
ReplyDeleteIt's so funny to think of old websites that used to be popular and no longer are. I'm embarrassed to admit that, when Myspace was "cool", I was absolutely addicted to it. The Top 8. The multiple profile pictures. Yes, I was pretty much obsessed. And Webshots. I think that I uploaded photos on that website weekly even if the photos weren't even meaningful enough to share. Eventually, though, all good things come to an end and Myspace is the perfect example of this.
ReplyDeleteWe've been talking about Facebook frequently in this class and I think it's interesting to consider if something will ever overtake Facebook. I polled my roommates and they shuddered at the thought of Facebook being taken over by a bigger and better website. The consensus? Nothing is going to happen to Facebook for a long, long time because it has become so established in society in so many ways.
One of my roommates is in the process of interviewing with Google and she was informed that Google's biggest competition is Facebook. Consequently, they are in the process of creating their own social networking site. Just something to keep in mind!