So our mission statement is to show the benefits and drawbacks of new media. I don't think there is a better example of a drawback than this video interview with unintentional internet phenom Rebecca Black. I will not try to avoid the fact that I made fun of her, I did. But this video is startling. How viciously people can tear people apart on the internet, just because its easy and there is ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY.
She seems like a nice enough girl who can sing decently well...and people want her to cut herself and die?! I just don't understand.
Wow. that is really horrible to see the devastating effects of the Internet. This poor girl having to deal with, to some degree, Internet bullying is really scary.
I loved when we heard her sing the National Anthem because it totally showed the viewers that this girl does have some talent and that people should take her more seriously.
I think that we need to take Internet bullying seriously because it's such a prominent issue in our society and so many people are being hurt by it. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has heard stories of children who literally kill themselves when they see or read something about themselves on the Internet.
On a lighter note (and for what it's worth), I really like Rebecca Black's song and listened to it on MY Friday night!
While it is sad that this thirteen year old girl is being bullied by others on the internet, I think to some degree, it's expected. When Justin Beiber first came onto the pop scene, I'm sure there were just as many people leaving hateful comments on his youtube videos as there are for Rebecca Black's. Perhaps Rebecca Black is looking for the same level of stardom that Beiber has reached, which would really be the demise of the music industry. Whatever her goal, she should have some clue and her mother especially should also have forewarned her that not everyone will be completely accepting of her "talent."
I also think it's interesting that in this video, the news anchors that come on at the end are almost poking fun at her. They comment on Black's statement that she isn't the worst nor the best singer, chuckling throughout this mention and say she does have "a bit of talent." It seems that the news anchors would somewhat agree that it very well could be the "worst song ever."
Wow. that is really horrible to see the devastating effects of the Internet. This poor girl having to deal with, to some degree, Internet bullying is really scary.
ReplyDeleteI loved when we heard her sing the National Anthem because it totally showed the viewers that this girl does have some talent and that people should take her more seriously.
I think that we need to take Internet bullying seriously because it's such a prominent issue in our society and so many people are being hurt by it. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has heard stories of children who literally kill themselves when they see or read something about themselves on the Internet.
On a lighter note (and for what it's worth), I really like Rebecca Black's song and listened to it on MY Friday night!
While it is sad that this thirteen year old girl is being bullied by others on the internet, I think to some degree, it's expected. When Justin Beiber first came onto the pop scene, I'm sure there were just as many people leaving hateful comments on his youtube videos as there are for Rebecca Black's. Perhaps Rebecca Black is looking for the same level of stardom that Beiber has reached, which would really be the demise of the music industry. Whatever her goal, she should have some clue and her mother especially should also have forewarned her that not everyone will be completely accepting of her "talent."
ReplyDeleteI also think it's interesting that in this video, the news anchors that come on at the end are almost poking fun at her. They comment on Black's statement that she isn't the worst nor the best singer, chuckling throughout this mention and say she does have "a bit of talent." It seems that the news anchors would somewhat agree that it very well could be the "worst song ever."