Pages

Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Insights on Texting: Response to McKenna's Post

McKenna, What a powerful post. It seems that you got to the core of many issues discussed in Alone Together, and in connecting them to real-life situations, further solidified the resounding messages that come from the reading. I agree with your point about phone calls-- you stated "I saw our phone calls as the most sincere way to contact her and stay connected." This brings up an interesting point. Can it be determined that vocal communication is indicative of the strength of a human relationship? 

There are some people on my contact list that I would never think to call. Think of those times when you've "butt dialed" some one you haven't seen in a long time. A return call consists of bewilderment and embarrassment, i.e. confusion as to why you called (who calls these days anyway?) and humiliation on your part for accidentally contacting someone you only maintain a text-based relationship with. It is an awkward situation, to be sure, but should it need to be? A phone call is something I only reserve for close friends and family members. Why is it so taboo these days to call someone whom you haven't spoken to in a year, just to see how they are doing? Quite simply, it's just weird. Oftentimes, we take the easier route and resort to texting instead. Its informal, fast, and emotion can be controlled. We don't need to worry about how our voice sounds over the phone, or how nervous we are in trying to carry on a conversation. I find that the people I most feel comfortable around are the ones that I make phone calls to.  

Its almost comical how the age of the cell phone has developed. For some strange reason, I have a habit of memorizing numbers directly upon seeing them. It only takes a few glances to remember phone numbers. Give me the name of any close friend/family member of mine, and I will recite their number in a heartbeat. Oddly, I associate people with their digits as an automatic, inherent means of remembering phone numbers. Sure, it's a great party trick (and also slightly disturbing), but I am now just beginning to realize that perhaps this skill is indicative of something larger at hand. If I can recite your number with the mere mention of your name, you are one person I will, and have made a phone call to (and text as well). Yet, if I am unable to remember to your digits, then you are someone I will probably only text. It is amazing how digital communication shapes the way we interact with others. The question is, is it for the better or the worse?

I'll leave you with this image...

No comments:

Post a Comment